The summer solstice is almost here and I am once again craving my favourite”cooling” foods. Everything from raw veggies, fruit, fresh herbs, nuts and seeds and everything in season. Kale, as usual, is blowing up my kitchen these days with a variety of recipes, treats and snacks.
At the top of my SUPERfood list, kale is an incredibly powerful therapeutic healing food that offers oodles of wholesome nourishment. Loaded with vitamin A, C, & K, B vitamins, magnesium, iron and potassium kale is one AMAZING green food you will not want to omit from your daily diet.
Packed with hydration, fibre and chlorophyll kale has the ability to help us unload toxins from our body and eliminate excess waste. In particular I recommend kale for women dealing with and suffering from hormonal imbalances and specifically PMS.
PMS & Detoxifying Excess Estrogen
When a woman has too much estrogen in her body, often taken in from outside external sources from our environment, processed foods, water, plastics, beauty products and pharmaceuticals she may experience uncomfortable symptoms around her monthly cycle. Bloating & water retention, cramping, acne, mood swings, irritability, depression and anxiety 7-14 days before a woman’s period are key signs that a woman may be carrying excess ESTROGEN.
Kale contains the phytochemical indole-3-carbinol (I3C). I3C is a powerful antioxidant, protects against carcinogenic effect of pesticides and other toxins and is anti-cancerous in particular for breast cancer. Kale helps to breakdown, detoxify and eliminate this excess negative estrogen from the body. It’s dense fibrous roughage also helps to remove waste from the bowel and “clean” you out from inside out.
Here is one my fabulously favourite KALE recipes with a side of creamy avocado dip. Making healthy delicious food doesn’t get any more easy breezy than this!
Easy Breezy Kale
- 1 head of organic kale (red, black or green)
- 3-6 garlic cloves, minced (more if you like it with a kick)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
1. Wash and chop or tear kale into bite sizes pieces. Mince garlic cloves (or use a garlic crusher) and chop onions.
2. Place coconut oil in a large pan on medium heat and add garlic and onion while sautéing for 2-4 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. Add kale and sauté on medium for 6-10 minutes, making sure to stir occasionally so the kale does not burn or stick to the pan. Add water or a dab more of coconut oil if kale sticks.
Creamy Avocado Dip
- 1 whole avocado, pitted and mashed
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- pinch of cayenne pepper (for added spice)
- touch of sea salt
1. Mash avocado in a bowl and add lemon juice, garlic, cayenne and sea salt.
2. Mix together and use as side dip for your delicious kale. This dip can also pair well with veggies, sauce or topping on chicken, burger or eggs.