As a nutritionist, people always ask me: “what do you eat for breakfast?” My reality, probably much like yours, is that I need something quick, easy to make and satisfying to get me through my work morning. Ever since I entered the wonderful world of holistic nutrition well over five years ago, I’ve been on the prowl for the “perfect” ideal breakfast-to-go.
It was during my busy school days, that I discovered smoothies as a perfect first meal of the day (before I hit up my lemon water and green tea). Smoothies over the years have become my favourite ultimate go-to for a fast EASY breakfast. Liquid food therapy in a cup—what could be easier?
So here’s the deal on WHY smoothies are such kick-ass breakfast treat.
1. Easy to Digest. As liquid nutrition, smoothies offer an easy to digest, easy to absorb by our digestive system in order to assimilate and utilize nutrients.
2. Pack a Punch. Smoothies are an easy way to get a whole lot of nutrition in one shot. By adding additional nutritional supplements or superfoods including: coconut oil, flax seed, goji berries, magnesium, spirulina or vitamin C, you can customize your morning shake to meet whatever nutritional needs and health goals you are currently focusing on.
3. Provide Sustainable Energy. These nourishing drinks offer long-lasting energy that can keep both your brain and your body high functioning for a good couple of hours. Ensuring adequate protein in your smoothie (a minimum of 15 grams) will maintain energy levels and keep your tummy satisfied, avoiding morning crash and burns experienced by the classic bagel and coffee breakfast.
4. Take them to Go. These drinks are so easy and so fast, it’s the perfect way to get your butt moving and out the door to start your work day. All you need is 2-3 minutes flat to put together your favourite smoothie recipe and you can be well on your way.
5. They taste Delicious! Enough said—these bad boys will destroy your taste buds with yummy nutrition goodness.
I’m leaving you with one of my favourite smoothie recipes from my brand spanking sparkly new e-guide: Smoothie Magic: Liquid Nutrition Therapy for the Body, Mind & Soul.
This smoothie is dedicated to all my Gorgeous Female Goddesses simply because YOU are pretty in pink. ~Jacquie xo
Pretty in Pink
• 1 frozen banana
• 1 cup pitted cherries
• 1/2 cup strawberries
• 1-2 Tbsp finely ground flax seeds
• 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
• 1-2 Tbsp vanilla protein powder
• 1 cup ice
• 1 Tbsp camu camu powder
Combine all ingredients in high-speed blender (I highly recommend the Vitamix) and puree on high until smooth or desired consistency is achieved.