How do you start your day? With a cup of coffee and bagel in hand? Cold cereals, orange juice and Pop-tarts? I hate to burst this bubble (because it’s a big one for a lot of people), but these my friends, are the breakfasts of overweight, pre-diabetic, exhausted individuals just waiting for a heart attack or cancer to happen. That’s right, the old model of cereal and OJ are long OVER, over-due.
Yes, it’s still true, breakfast really IS the MOST IMPORTANT meal of the day and as such we need to start treating it like that— Eat this meal as if you were a God or Goddess. Your body has been fasting all night long, your blood sugars should be long and both your body and brain need a kick-start.
You want to ensure that you eat breakfast within one to two hours of waking and include protein with this vital meal. If you find yourself not hungry or gagging at the sight of eating food first thing in the morning, opt for a liquid breakfast such as a shake or smoothie to ease the transition of food into your body.
I also like to start my day with a warm glass of lemon water and green tea to aid in natural healthy elimination and get my digestive juices flowing.
Here’s the real low-down on why you cannot afford to skip breakfast…
1. Keeps the Monster in the Cage: When the irritable, tired, dizzy and unable to concentrate mind comes out to play, you can be sure it’s likely due to low blood sugar. A good friend of mine calls this Hangry: Hungry +Angry = a recipe for rage disaster. Don’t let your blood sugar get too low to this point. Eat consistent square meals at regular intervals throughout the day to keep blood sugar from going haywire.
2. Improves Fat Burn: Eating breakfast sets up your metabolic rate and fat burning capabilities for the rest of the day. Eat breakfast and manage your weight. Simple.
3. Creates Sexy Balanced Hormones: Skipping breakfast or any meals for that matter wreaks havoc on your pretty little hormones. Keep estrogen and progesterone in check by eating a solid breakfast packed with protein. When out of whack, these two hormones in particular can create nasty mood-swings, energy highs and lows and feels of depression and anxiety. Opt for eggs, lean chicken, protein smoothie, legumes and nuts to start your day.
4. Boosts Brain Power: Consuming a good breakfast is critical to rev up your most important engine— your brain. Real nutrition packed with vitamins, minerals, protein and omega-3 will help you focus, concentrate and enhance cognitive function.
5. Reduces Binging and Cravings: Eat breakfast and ensure adequate protein to avoid afternoon cravings and late-night binges. The body often goes looking for extra calories and nutrients when it lacks the proper balance of carbs, fats and proteins. Avoid sugary breakfasts that contribute to energy highs and lows and make you want to kill for sugar at 3 p.m.
Here is one of my favourite classic protein packed breakfast smoothies as a sample from my new upcoming E-guide, Smoothie Magic: Liquid Nutrition Therapy for the Body, Mind & Spirit. Keep posted for more details coming soon! In the meantime, feel free to have a peak at my healthy other e-guides, including hormone balancing for women.
Goddess Warrior Smoothie
- 1-2 scoops of protein powder (approx. 10-30g)
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 ½ cup almond milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp almond butter
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp freshly ground flax seeds
- Touch of raw honey or maple syrup
Add all ingredients into a high-speed blender (I LOVE the Vitamix for this) until it becomes a smoothie texture or desired consistency is achieved. Add additional water/almond milk/ice according to how you prefer it. *My personal absolute favourite protein powder = Sunwarrior
Serves: 1 • Prep Time: 1-2 minutes • Cooking Time: 0 minutes