Did you know the human body is made up of almost 70% water? Did you also know that our blood has a very particular state of pH it prefers to sit at, about 7.34-7.45, with 7.45 being ideal? And did you know that your brain is one the first places to feel the effects of dehydration? So what the heck does this mean and why should you care? Because by doing this one simple thing a day, you can drastically improve the state of your health and totally energize your body.
I’m talking about drinking lemon water. This delicious golden nectar of the health gods is an incredibly powerful super drink to add to your daily routine.
So let me give you my top 5 reasons why you need to start drinking this invigorating beverage every day.
5. Promotes wound healing: Numerous studies have shown that Vitamin C aids in speeding up the wound healing process. Lemons are loaded with Vitamin C. In addition to this, Vitamin C’s high antioxidant content also helps to combat damage created by free radicals. Yes, ladies, drink lemon water to promote sun damage healing, beautiful skin and anti-aging.
4. Adds flavour: There are a ton of “flavouring” agent products on the market that claim to offer great health benefits. Most of these products contain chemical sweeteners and fake added ingredients which can be harmful to our health. Go natural and add lemon to give your water extra flavour.
3. Boost immunity: The vitamin C found in lemons are known for its immune boosting properties and warding off viruses. Lemons also contain saponins, found in many plants, which are known to help protect against microbes and fungi.
2. Alkalize the body: Huh? As I mentioned the body needs to maintain a certain ph level to maintain life. The ph scale ranges from 0-14, with 0 being the most acidic and 14 being the most alkaline. The body likes to sit just slightly more alkaline than acidic at about 7.4. When we eat food it either has an acidic or alkalizing effect on the body. The majority of us are eating far too many acidic foods such as meat, milk, bagels, cookies, grains, etc. Foods such as dark leafy greens, apples, almonds, broccoli, etc. have an alkaline effect on the body therefore creating a better environment for optimal health to thrive and ward off disease.
1. Aid in digestion: Lemon is believed to help cleanse and purify the liver, flushing out excess toxins built up in the system. It also helps to stimulate hydrochloric acid in the stomach, important for beginning the digestive process and breaking down food. Drinking lemon water may help get digestive juices flowing and prepare the body for food.
Lemon water is one of my favourite tools to help my body naturally detoxify itself. A big glass of hot lemon water first thing in the morning is the best way to get things moving and flowing to start your day.