Wooh-hoo! I got my first sore throat of the season last night! Why am I so happy about this? Well, # 1: flu season started almost 3 months ago and I haven’t got sick once, thanks to my AMAZING holistic nutrition & lifestyle program!
And #2, I get to use my favourite most powerful blender, the Vitamix which is super fun to play with and makes “cooking” ridiculously easy! After downing 2 delicious bowls of that green machine above, I woke up feeling tip top and no more sore throat!
Even though I’m a Holistic Nutritionist, I will be the first to fully admit to you I don’t like to spend a lot of time cooking in the kitchen. Mostly because like you, I simply don’t have a whole lot of free time. Coaching clients and teaching nutrition workshops keeps me far too busy. And besides, I’d much rather be doing yoga, reading a good book or running by the lake with any little “free” time I do have!
So, on that note, I threw together this very yummy yet easy recipe that I swear by to cure any ounce of sickness coming on and prevent you from falling ill to a full-blown cold and flu epidemic. They key ingredients to kicking the flu in the butt are the garlic, ginger, onion and coconut oil— all of which contain anti-microbial and anti-viral properties to help boost your white blood cells and ultimately, your immune system. Go on, get flu fighting!
BROCCOLI FLU-FIGHTER SOUP
- 2 Tbsp organic coconut oil
- 12 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 inches ginger, minced
- 2 large broccoli crowns, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2-3 Tbsp curry
- Sea salt to taste
1. In a big pot sauté onions, garlic and ginger in coconut oil on low for 5 minutes or until light to medium brown.
2. Next add to the pot your water, vegetable stock, broccoli, parsley and spinach. Place on high until boiling occurs, add spices and then bring to a simmer for 20-25 minutes or until soft tenderness of broccoli is achieved.
3. Remove from heat and let cool and serve OR let cool and add entire pot to a blender or food processer and puree. I love the Vitamix for this!
4. Add extra parsley for garnish and extra flavor. Serves approximately 3-4 people.
Serves: 3-4 • Prep Time: 7-10 minutes • Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes