Good Monday morning nutrition lovers! Question of the day: How will you show your support for Movember? Much like October’s breast cancer awareness, November or “Movember” as we often call it here in Canada represents a time to bring support and awareness to men’s health, in particular prostate health.
Here a just a few stats to put prostate cancer into perspective for us since it is the most common cancer among Canadian men aside from non-melanoma skin cancer, according the Canadian Cancer Society:
- An estimated 26,500 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer and 4,000 will die of it.
- On average, 73 Canadian men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer every day.
- On average, 11 Canadian men will die of prostate cancer every day.
Did you also know that 1 in 7 men will develop prostate cancer during his lifetime and 1 in 28 will die it? *For women stats are now showing 1 in 8 will develop breast cancer in her lifetime.
I thought I would try to show my support over here for Movember by sporting that super sexy mustache! Hello Tom Selleck! I’m told I look a heck of a lot like my Dad when I sport that near handle-bar mustache! Yupp! And the best part? He still wears his mustache today! My Dad support prostate cancer awareness 365 days a year! Love it!
Since I figure I might get some pretty funny and creepy looks if I were to walk around the streets of Toronto in my full blown mustache, I am also showing my support by promoting the heck of nutritious goodness you can add to your life in order prevent prostate cancer.
Here are My Top 5 Favourite Foods to Fight Prostate Cancer:
1. Cruciferous Vegetables: Kale, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts. Eat them raw, steam, juice or blend them. Add them to all your favourite dishes and get detoxifying! These foods are loaded with antioxidant and phytochemicals that appear to be protective in nature. Cruciferous veggies offer amazing cancer prevention properties including indole-3-carbinol (I3C) and its metabolite diindoylmethane (DIM)
2. Brazil Nuts: Brazil nuts contain high amounts of selenium, a mineral that is strongly preventative against prostate cancer. A handful of Brazil nuts will give you your daily dose of up to 200 mcg of selenium essential for supporting prostate health and could even reduce your risk of prostate cancer by 50%.
3. Tomatoes: Tomatoes contain lycopene, (also found in pink grapefruit, watermelon, papaya and guava) a powerful antioxidant which in some studies has been shown to have a protective effect against prostate cancer. Some studies have shown that that amount of lycopene available from tomatoes increases when they are cooked.
4. Pumpkin Seeds & oil: Studies have linked various nutrients in pumpkin seeds/oil or extracts to their beneficial effects on Benign Prostate Hyperplasia (BPH) which involve an enlargement of prostate gland. Pumpkin seeds/oil contain lignans, zinc and most importantly for prostate health, phytosterols.
5. Green Tea: Swap your morning cup of java for green tea to gain its incredible cancer fighting effects. Green tea is rich with antioxidants & flavonoids, including catechins. The most abundant catechin found in green tea is epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), which is thought to play an important role in the green tea’s anticancer effects.
If you have’t yet registered for our 6-Part nutrition series with NuMe Fitness, it’s not too late! I’m super pumped to kick it all off tonight! Doors open at 6:45 p.m. & we start at 7 sharp! For more deets & registration find it all here.