Fall, fall, fall recipes! It’s all about fall goodness! Like bears we’re preparing over here for the long cold winter. Boo! But, what better way to prepare for the cold by getting fresh in the kitchen with some of our fall favourites! Known scientifically as Avena sativa (also makes for a great nourishing tonic/tea for those dealing with minor depression), oats are the perfect food for the season.
Warming, grounding, calming and deliciously nourishing, oats provide a solid 4 grams of fibre to get those bowels moving, loads of B vitamins for combatting stress and a very good source of selenium, a critical cofactor of the important antioxidant, glutathione (more to come on this!). Get warm and toasty with this homemade granola made with natural sweetness from maple syrup, nuts and seeds and lots of love! Take it to go or savour for dessert… With love and toasty hugs, xoxo
TOASTY MAPLE GRANOLA
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats (certified gluten free)
- 1/3 cup toasted kasha (buckwheat)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 unsweetened shredded organic coconut
- 1-2 Tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp organic coconut oil
- ½-1 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup goji berries
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Mix dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl (all but the dried fruit), then add maple syrup and coconut oil and mix thoroughly. Lightly grease a large baking sheet with coconut oil and spread mix out as even as possible on baking sheet.
2. Place sheet in oven for approx. 20 minutes, keeping your eye on this. Take sheet out and give a good mix around and return into oven for another 15-25 minutes or until slightly browned.
3. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Add in dried fruit of your choice and mix. Makes a a delicious after dinner treat, snack on the go or add as a topping on fruit.
Serves: 4 cups • Prep Time: 6-7 minutes • Cooking Time: 20-45 minutes