For those of you going with the flow of G-Free style- that is gluten free living, here’s a tasty treat to replace your traditional typical white (nutrition-less!) Wonderbread stuffing. Try this quinoa dish as an alternative to bread as it’s not only gluten free, but packed with easily digestible vegetarian protein, high in iron, zinc and B-vitamins, super awesome for combating stress, energy and boosting the immune system. Pluuuuuuuuus, it won’t leave your tummy feeling full or bloated like traditional wheat and white bread. Now, take that and stuff it in your turkey!
Butternut Squash Risotto
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 large butternut squash, cut in half
- ½-1 cup mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock, low sodium organic
- a few parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp cinnamon & sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Cut butternut squash in half, scoop out seeds and add to each half 1 tssp coconut oil, some chopped parsley & a pinch of cinnamon. Put on a cookie dough sheet, but don’t cover, and roast in oven for 30 minutes.
2. Bring medium sized pot of water to a boil and add quinoa. Bring down to low and let cook, covering with lid for 10-15 minutes, checking occasionally giving it a stir. When the quinoa appears fluffy and all the water has been absorbed remove from heat and rinse thoroughly.
3. Chop onion, garlic, and parsley, grate carrot, and slice mushrooms. Heat 1 Tbsp coconut oil in a pot, and add garlic, peas & onion. After 1 minute add mushrooms, parsley and 1/2 cup stock. Cover and let simmer on low.
4. The mushroom mix should be done after about 5-7 minutes on low. Scoop out cooked and cooled squash and add this, the quinoa and the rest of the stock and mix. Use a dash of extra cinnamon and a pinch of sea salt for extra flavour. Use a side dish alternative to turkey stuffing or makes for an awesome hearty snack.